Sunday, February 12, 2012

Camping on the Roanoke River

For the past few weeks, Nick has been craving an adventure.  He started researching new places to camp fairly close to where we live.  Last weekend we decided to try out the Roanoke River and headed to eastern NC.  We went to Halifax Co which was very rural but full of cotton farms and American history.  Turns out, it was the sight of the Halifax Resolves which paved the way for the American Revolution.  It is only about 1.5 hours from Raleigh, so we had plenty of time to explore when we got there.



Nick discovered these platforms along the river.  You can travel down the river by canoe, camping along the way or just drive to one for the night.  We had to drive through this cotton field to get to the spot.  The platform was up on a bluff overlooking the river.




our home for the night


view of the river



steps to the river

When Nick and I go camping, we have a certain routine that we do (which I learned about when we first started camping together).  First you gather all your fire wood and then organize it into piles according to size.  Here is the first pile which I (thought) was organized by size-


A little while later I came back and saw that Nick had reorganized it.  If you know Nick this should make you laugh.



 Anyway, the pile turned into this relaxing fire, where I lounged and read for the afternoon.




Even though it was pretty rainy we had a great time.  The spot is a keeper and I am thankful for an adventurous husband!



4 comments:

  1. Funny! I know you told me yall did this, but now that I see the pics...my dad has told me about this place! I've been wanting to go...we will have to make a trip soon ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linds - I love your blog - I had so much fun catching up with you and Nick tonight. You are still so cute! Don't tell nick.
    love, regina

    ReplyDelete